Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I'm not Blending... and Neither are You.

I have begun reading Blended: Using Disruptive Innovation to Improve Schools by Michael B. Horn and Heather Staker. So far, I have enjoyed learning about the different blended models and what the implications of disruptive and hybrid learning will be for schools. 

When I started the book, it was with the intent of getting a better handle on blended learning so I could help my teachers perfect their practice. What I have already learned in just the first two chapters is that I am not blending, and neither are many of my teachers. 

What blending is and isn't

My teachers have become very comfortable with technology. They post assignments and resources online, and their students turn in most of their work digitally. Kids can access online calendars, and teachers mass email parents or post newsletters on class websites for communication. These are all great and efficient uses of technology, but it's not blended learning. 

Horn and Staker say that in order to have a true blended learning experience, students need some level of control over the time, place, path, and/or pace of their learning (35). While my teachers love technology, they are still only using it to facilitate whole group instruction. I now know that my goal for the next school year will be to encourage them to adopt blended learning models. 

How we can bring the blended model to the classroom

It's hard to convince teachers to make major changes to their instructional strategy, but with the right coaching, teachers can start to make some small changes to move their classrooms toward a blended model. 

The best way to make a small change in a single classroom is by instituting a station rotation model. Teachers do this for general review of a unit or term, but making this model a more frequent occurrence can give students more control over their learning.  

Teachers new to blending can start with a once a week rotation for reviewing, and students can complete activities to reinforce the skills they need to work on most. In our district, teachers can use the results from in-class review tools like Kahoot, Socrative, or the Flubaroo add-on for Google forms to identify the skills students need to practice, then group students into stations to review those skills. As teachers get more comfortable, they can move to other blending models, giving students choice and control in what they are learning and when they learn it. 

Other Ideas About Blended Learning

I am reading Blended: Using Disruptive Innovation to Improve Schools as part of a book study with some great colleagues. Check out the links to their blogs too, to get their perspectives on the book and on how we can bring these ideas to the teachers in our district. 

Follow Heather Staker on Twitter @hstaker

Follow my colleagues too! 

Jill Stout @MsStoutSchool

Michael Boyes @mwboyes

Jan Dillon @JanHDillon

Get the book




No comments:

Post a Comment